Bats in the belfry?
This was a very good session. A few key points -
- Bats are present in well over 50% of churches (probably closer to 90% in the older ones) (they do not have up to date data)
- Different species use different spaces - some simply hang on rafters, some hide in cracks in wood, stone etc.
- Bats use different spaces at different times of the year
- Just because there are no signs of bats does not mean that there are none!
- It is far better to get advice and help in checking for bats before any project starts - not doing so could lead to disturbance of the bats or their roosts - either risks prosecution
- National Bats Helpline - https://www.bats.org.uk/our-work/national-bat-helpline
- Free advice will often be available - talk to them!
- Finding bats does not necessarily prevent a project going ahead. Advice will be given on what to do when bats or roosts are found.
(More information is available on line using a search)