• Jake Thackwray
    What resources can you suggest for improving my call change ringing. I can easily change the places, but seeing how to return to rounds makes me freeze mentally and often end up with ‘go rounds next time’.
  • A J Barnfield
    Pile them up off the front, or the back, or both; i.e. call the treble down to lead, then the second down to second's place and so on.
    Reminds me of a wedding a few decades back. We were ringing call changes and the conductor was trying to call us round but the bells were drifting out of place quicker than he could call the changes. We must have stopped ringing eventually, somehow.
  • John Harrison
    from any order, notice a pair of adjacent bells that are the wtong way round, eg ....64.... Swap those bells so you get .....46..... Keep doing that and you will end up in rounds.
    It doesn't matter which order you swap the pairs in so long as each swap reverses two bells that are the wrong way round. So just do whichever one you can see, until there are no more the wrong way.
    Even if someone goes wrong while you are doing it, it doesn't matter so long as you keep swiping pairs the right way round. It will take a bit longer but you'll stil get there.
  • Stuart Palin
    along the same lines as AJB suggested I usually suggest to people that they (initially) work on any desired change by working with each bell in the change in order. This can either be done by working front-to-back, or back-to-front. Your preference might be affected by how well you can see each change and your calling style (bell-up or bell-down). As you gain experience you can play-around with how you reach different changes.

As an example - moving to Queens and back to Rounds building each change front-to-back:

1-2-3-4-5-6 (1 is already in the right place, 3 is not. Currently 2 is in the way of 3. Call 2-3)
    1-3-2-4-5-6 (3 is now in the right place, 5 is not, currently 4 is in the way. Call 4-5)
    1-3-2-5-4-6 (5 is still not in the right place, currently 2 is in the way. Call 2-5)
    1-3-5-2-4-6 (5 is now in the right place, as are 2, 4, and 6. Job done]

1-3-5-2-4-6 (2 is out of place. Call 5-2)
    1-3-2-5-4-6 (2 is still out of place. Call 3-2)
    1-2-3-5-4-6 (2 and 3 are in place, 4 is not. Call 5-4).
    1-2-3-4-5-6 (Job done)

Building from back-to-front the changes would be:

1-2-3-4-5-6 (6 is already in place, 4 is not. Call 4-5)
    1-2-3-5-4-6 (4 is in place, 2 is not. Call 2-3)
    1-3-2-5-4-6 (2 is still not in place. Call 2-5)
    1-3-5-2-4-6 (2 is in place, as are 5, 3, and 1. Job done)

1-3-5-2-4-6 (5 is out of place. Call 5-2).
    1-3-2-5-4-6 (5 is still out of place. Call 5-4)
    1-3-2-4-5-6 (4 is in place, 3 is not. Call 3-2)
    1-2-3-4-5-6 (3, 2, 1, are all in place. Job done).
    HTH
  • Samuel Nankervis
    If you really get in a muddle, try to see who is following you, and call yourself behind them, and up to the back, to become the last bell. Then hopefully, it is easier to see the order of the other bells which are now all in front of you, and start changing any pairs which will get it closer to rounds, ie; by calling the heavier bells to follow any lighter bells. After each change, it will get easier to see the order of all the bells, as they get closer to being in rounds.
    Sam
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.