• Simon Linford
    I heard an explanation of why up dodges are harder than down dodges this morning which I have never heard before. The learner was doing various kaleidoscope exercises including dodging, and had previously had the discussion about why the handstroke needs to be pulled a little harder because of the need to raise the rope. This was accompanied by a lovely demonstration of first pulling off a handstroke very gently and seeing that the bell didn't get anywhere near the balance at backsroke, and then bringing a bell gently off the balance at backstroke and watching it just set itself.

When asked which was harder work out of a down dodge and an up dodge, she first said "the down dodge because you need to lift the weight of the rope". Not the answer we expected, especially those who would rather do down dodges every day of the week.

"But what is working in the other direction, with more effect?" asked the tutor?

The handstroke gap. I had never thought about that. The handstroke gap causing the handstroke to be held up so the backstoke dodge is further in. It's definitely the case that the more bells you ring on, the harder and 1-2 up dodge is to execute accurately than a dodge at the other end of the change.

There are other reasons I think why down dodges are bit easier, to do with control of the sally, but the hanstroke gap point was an interesting one I thought. Has anyone else thought about that?
  • John Harrison
    I wrote a Learning Curve article about it. There's also a section about it in The New Ringer's Book, p 89.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.