• Alison Hodge
    Are there any articles / books / courses / groups on how to compose? We have found a very few but what are the best suggestions please?
  • Graham John
    Here are some useful resources. Please share any others you have found:

The challenge to new composers in today's world is that computer programs have been developed that can search for compositions far faster than a human. That does not mean that there is nothing for a new composer to do, but it means that anything truly original is likely to come from some who can come up with a creative idea and have the computer tools or programming knowledge to be able to develop and explore their idea. Many of the principles used by composers in the era before computers, such as the use of false course head groups, have become as useful as doing multiplication with a log book or slide rule when you have a calculator sitting in front of you.
  • Simon Linford
    I had a bit of a relevation though on the way to last year's Central Council meeting, when I gave a lift to Simon Percy and Jayden Milby - both young reps. Over the course of a couple of hours, Simon gave Jayden a lesson in composing using Complib. I had no idea that Complib had the functionality he demonstrated.

I suppose this is not teaching how to compose as such, but was teaching how to use a tool which helps you to compose.
  • Simon Linford
    Two weeks ago I set a homework task for one of my local ringers (recently graduated, computer science - just to give some context). I told her to come back next week with a touch of spliced minor, using at least four out of Plain Little Cambridge, Norwich and London, with three courses and no more than 11 leads. No more information.

The first thing I heard her asking someone else was "what's a course?"

The point is though that I am not sure this sort of stuff is explained anywhere other than by asking someone else, which I was expecting her to do. I reckoned she would be able to do it and would learn a lot from just being set the task. Which she did.
  • Graham John
    The first thing I heard her asking someone else was "what's a course?"Simon Linford

Good question! Not necessarily easy to answer concisely and definitively.
  • John Harrison
    I am not sure this sort of stuff is explained anywhere other than by asking someone elseSimon Linford

There must be some information somewhere. I recently discovered that one of our youngsters is the current (7 day and 30 day) leading composer on CompLib. I've told him a few snippets and encouraged him, and I suspect others might have too, but I assume he picked up a lot for himself - not sure where though.
  • Phillip George
    I do a very small amount of composing and in basic methods. I use Complib for this purpose. I sometimes write out my comps longhand and then use complib to prove them for me. I've had to learn how to drive it and I would say that I'm not a 'power' user, but its great fun.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.