• Neal Dodge
    Can anyone shed some light on these Doubles methods or variations? They are quoted in historic performances (pre-1900) but aren’t part of the current Method library.

• St Dunstan
    • The Dream
    • Fortune
    • Gog Magog
    • Old Grandsire
    • Nightingale
    • Violet
    • New York
    • Evening Star
    • Cambridge Delight
    • Cambridge Journey
    • Old Doubles
    • New Doubles
    • London
    • Morning Star (not sure when the current Morning Star Bob Doubles was defined)
  • Graham John

For Doubles variations check the variations library search here. A number of these names are listed, although it is often not possible to determine whether these correspond to what was rung in a historic performance.
  • David Struckett
    These terms date back to the late 17th C.: a few are to be found in Tintinalogia of 1668 but most in Stedman's Campanalogia of 1677. Some are defineable methods and some like Gog-Magog are actually what we would call the 9-bob touch of Grandsire Doubles, the simple version given earlier rather than a different method, though in those days they would appear to have to learn instructions for the whole touch. It's rather fun to look them up - even better to see if your ringers could ring an extent using only the old system! The one that is recognisably modern is Stedman's 'Imperial' which is actually now known as Derwent Surprise Major, complete with instructions for touches leading to 1344. And it's true!
  • Nicholas Small
    Going off at a tangent, I had a bit of spare time in the week after Christmas, during which I finished compiling an index to the method names used in Campanalogia (1677 edition). It is simply a couple of columns in a spreadsheet but could, for example, easily be extended to include the 1766 edition, or any other publication of the period - not that I expect to have time to do anything like that for a while.

Is there a repository somewhere that I could/should put it in, for the benefit and use of others?
  • Graham John
    Nicholas, I am interested in this, particularly if it is possible to relate the names to those used today. Where this is possible, I can add an also known as on Complib. The spreadsheet can also be hosted on wiki.changeringing.co.uk, which I am happy to help with. A few explanatory words would be good too.
  • David Struckett
    Most of the early text books on ringing have been re-issued in facsimile in recent years, and may be available at your local Association library. Some have been made available on-line - I believe there are references to them in the CC web-site somewhere - prob. library comm. They are listed in the Dictionary of Campanology, which most libraries have.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.