• Oliver Lee
    lately I have began to collect loose copies of old ringing worlds and am hoping to start a collection, does anyone have any bound ones for 1975-76,71 and 80-81. this would really help to compliment the ones I already have (which are 1972-74 and 1977-79.).
    oliver lee
  • James Kirkcaldy
    There are a number of bound years at Exeter Cathedral, unsure what dates. These are in the process of being removed to tidy up. They may already have gone though, as no one had expressed an interest in them.
  • Stella Bianco
    Oliver: Have a little patience. Opportunities to rescue bound do RWs occur. It is similar with territorial association annual reports.
  • Alison Hodge
    There are often collections of bound and unbound copies made available as houses and churches are cleared and i am sure that a good home for them will be readily accepted. If they are unbound then there are binders who will bind them for you.

Are you interested in Bell News, the paper that preceded Bell News? If so, i know that there may be set available following the death of a collector. He may also have had Ringing Worlds.

By the way, the copied get very heavy so once you build your collection, consider carefully where and how you store them! Shelves may collapse and even the floor loading may be excessive if your bookcases stand on just small feet on a less substantial flooring!
  • Oliver Lee
    hi Alison, I do take an interest in the bell news but these are easily available online, I would be particularly interested to know which years this collector had as they are a few that I already have. my current copies are kept in my bedroom cupboard but hopefully I should be getting a shelf for them, are bound copies more easier to keep? as most my existing ones are in loose box folders.
  • Alison Hodge
    I understand that the collection I thought of has already gone to another home.
    Yes, Bell News is available from the CCCBR website as are the Ringing World up to 1970.Hence, i assume why you want those from 1970 onwards. But the RW is also available on DVD up to 2018.

Regarding storage, whether you keep copies bound or unbound is a personal decision and also what you can find! It also depends on how you intend to use them.

Yes bound are (usually) in stiff covers that sit well on a shelf. There were binders sold for copies but these had (i think) cords to tie in the copies resulting in a tendency for copies to become torn, if used a lot.
    Soft bindings keep sets together but do not stand on a shelf.
    Loose copies can be kept tidily in box files or document storage boxes.

If you are doing research, then several copies open at once on a desk are easier to refer to on single copies than bulky bound volumes (but that again is a personal view) and book marks can be inserted for easy reference later and are more likely to stay in place in a bound copy.

So the choice is yours, and whether you want paper or a disc is presumably a decision that you have taken already.
  • Richard Pullin
    I have a bound set for 80-81.
    In fact I have bound sets for the whole of the 1980s, which I'm trying to get rid of!
    Would you like them?
  • Oliver Lee
    hi Richard, yes this is exactly what I'm after, do you mind sending me your email address and also do you have any from 71,75 and 76?.
  • Richard Pullin
    Hi Oliver, my email address is
    I possibly have some from 75 and 76 but can't quite remember (they are all at my parents' house)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.