• Rosalind Martin
    I remember someone saying "Yorkshire Max is easy, just places, skip.... dodge.... skip" or something. What's the actual technique? Does it scale down to Yorkshire Caters and Major?
  • Andrew G Smith
    Yes Yorkshire has some nice rules.

People think of them in different ways but my take on it is…

One half of the method you miss a dodge then do a set of places (“MP”). In the other half you do a set of places then miss a dodge (“PM”). 3rds place bell is fairly obvious and 2nds and 5ths place bell are relatively straight forward. in one half of the method you miss the dodge with your course bell and in the other half you miss the dodge with your after bell.

In Yorkshire Max the places add up to 10/12 in a given lead, 8/10 in Royal and 6/8 in Major.
  • John Harrison
    I'm always cautious of that sort of ultra simple recipe (more commonly associated with Double Norwich).
    In blue line terms the macro structure with two sets of work moving progressively in opposite directions each lead, is the same as Cambridge. But he complication is that in Cambridge the two sets of work are different (places and misses) whereas in Yorkshire they look the same (miss plus places). That can be confusing, especially since they aren't quite the same - in one you dodge with the Treble in the places and in the other you pass the Treble at the miss. And you have to remember whether miss or places comes first.
    But what makes Yorkshire much easier to ring on higher numbers in practice is that the coursing order is only briefly disturbed near the Treble (I've during the places + miss) so it is preserved across the large area under the Treble. That makes the ropesight far easier than Cambridge, where as someone once said 'bells come at you from all over the place'.
  • Rosalind Martin
    Thank you Andrew. Missing dodges with the course and after bell was something that had not struck me before, but it is just the sort of helpful flag that I seem to need.

Hi John, I have always been after ultra-simple recipes.... but I am resigned to the need to actually learn methods properly these days (pencil. paper. study the place notation. etc). It's just that when I stand up in the tower and there are bells coming at me (albeit in a very logical order, in Yorkshire), it's nice to have something to fall back on when my mind goes dead!
  • John Harrison
    there's a Learning Curve article about ringing Yorkshire Maximus. I would give you the URL but that's one of the bits of the CC website that refuses to work with my iPad. Look in the index.
  • Andrew G Smith
    @Rosalind Martin and the rule for Cambridge Max is dodge 4 miss 2 dodge 4 places, which does ‘trim down’ to other stages of Cambridge..e.g. Major is dodge 2 miss 2 dodge 2 places.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.