• PeterScott
    ... music writer Laura Barton presents a ... meditation on ... aspects of music. Today it's the turn of bells and the change-ringing that is particularly English ... Laura visits All Hallows in Twickenham... where Stephen Mitchell and his bellringers demonstrate ... a peal of ten bells. She even has a go . ... Including a recording of St Paul's Cathedral's muffled bells on the day of the Queen's funeral, ...BBC Sounds

Enjoyed the programme, particularly the first-lesson in bellhandling, and recommend following the link above: it says available for at least a year.

Anyone else heard it?

By happenstance I was doing a first-lesson in the evening, and my learner had also heard the programme, and was reassured as to the potential scariness of the whole process.
  • Catherine Sturgess
    I thought it was lovely - so evocative and lyrical.
  • Gerald Wilson
    Yes, it was good, particularly the recordings in the tower, very true to life.
  • Nigel Goodship
    I thought the programme was very good and well worth listening to. Not directed at existing ringers, of course, but great for telling everyone else a little about ringing in a very positive and interesting way. I'd be surprised if it doesn't result in a little recruitment here and there.
  • Simon Linford
    That's very good. Interesting to hear it from the perspective of someone so interested in the sound. Good that lots of different members of the band chipped in. I hope plenty of people listen to it.
  • J Martin Rushton
    I'm afraid it was a bit too much of the arty meditation for me. Some modern composer trying to make you feel as if you were "inside the bell" and playing tricks with the electronics. It would have been far better to use the time to explain a bit more about methods, or even [sotto voce] call changes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.