• Simon Linford
    Years ago I wrote this article for the Ringing World which has been much quoted and shared https://wiki.changeringing.co.uk/Stedman_-_Quick_or_Slow
    When first published there were only 12 methods https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/issues/5101#page=5 and the wiki got added to if anyone put forward a new method that they actually used.

I have just had the first genuinely new way of knowing whether to go in quick or slow for years, and I am wondering if anyone else uses it. I somehow doubt it, but here goes:

The Daisy Chaim method

Rule:
    On 7: Track the sequence of bells going in Quick starting with the treble, whoever they dodge 4-5 with is the next Quick bell etc. If they end up dodging with you, you are Quick, if not, you are slow.
    On 9+ you can track the same bell further up and the same dodging rule applies. You might remember more than one bell to help understand the structure. Track bells until you know how you are going to meet them yourself. You can have a breather when you go in slow.
    On 9: Track either Quick or Slow bells but stick to one or the other.
    On 11+: Track slow bells.

Usage: Only me???

Pros:
    Totally reliable and you are both independent of other people's mistakes and can put them right knowing whether any given six is quick or slow. Easier than counting sixes, which I always miscount even when (rarely) calling touches.

Cons:
    Requires good ropesight and concentration! On 7 it is easily manageable. On more bells I often alternate it with other methods. E.g. having a rest for a bit then looking to see whether leading is right or wrong in any given six.

Finally, on higher numbers, as I leave the front I remember consecutive bells about to go in slow as I pass them on my way up. I will eventually pass or dodge with these bells in the same order and spacing when I come back down. This has the same basis but is perhaps a different method??
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.