• Beverley Furniss
    Any tips to help ringers sufferering from osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis please? Especially in the hands
    Thanks
  • Richard Pargeter
    My sister commented as follows:
    "I have both rheumatoid and osteo arthritis affecting my hands and other joints. I find the most important thing is to pace yourself. At the time it may seem fine to ring several times without a break, but you risk paying for it the next day(s). It's difficult in our tower as we hardly ever have enough ringers to take turns, but I've learnt to insist, so we have breaks and if necessary, shorten the practice sessions. I also refrain from ringing up and stick to the lighter bells. I find that rubbing in a bit of glycerin improves grip, so you don't have to grasp the rope so tightly, but some towers don't like that. I also tuck the end of the rope into a wristband (the stretchy cotton kind that sportspeople use). This is because I'm tall so I always have a long tail end which I hate having whisking around, but it does also give a degree of confidence if your grip is weak. Some folk say it's dangerous, but the rope would pull out in an emergency, and the worst you could suffer would be a rope burn."
  • Beverley Furniss
    thanks for replying. That’s very helpful
  • John Harrison
    I don't know whether this will help but it might. I encourage all ringers to relax their grip between strokes. Some people grip the rope the whole time but you don't need to between strokes when there's no tension in the rope,
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.