• Simon Linford
    Does anyone have experience of recruiting from Cadet Forces, e.g. Air Cadets? It has been suggested that they might be fertile recruitment grounds, and that the Air Cadets is one of the biggest users of the DofE scheme.
  • Nick Lawrence
    My last post, prior to my recent retirement, was as Wing Executive Officer (Squadron Leader) of the Dorset & Wiltshire Wing of the Air Cadets, responsible for the day-to-day running of a volunteer organisation, with 200 adult officers/instructors, and 2000 cadets aged 13 to 18.
    I have also, as a major, commanded several TA infantry companies, each comprising 120 volunteers.
    The problems of recruiting & retention in these military organisations are very similar to those current experienced by the bell-ringing exercise.
    I will put my detailed thoughts and experiences into print in due course, but the main factor in favour of the military organisations is that it is “glamorous”, and therefore attracts young people.
    More ramblings idc!
  • Simon Linford
    One of the negatives expressed by someone involved in Cadet Forces is that the more involved you get, the more likely it is to involve things on Saturdays and Sundays in particular and so trainees are likely to be lost unless ringing displaces being in the cadet force as a primary activity.
  • Alan C
    I hope Nick that you're not suggesting bell ringing isn't 'glamorous'? ;-)

My experience of the Air Cadets was watching 20 or so oiks stretching what was essentially a giant elastic band to power a light glider piloted by the senior NCO on a flight over a cricket pitch. Not the height of glamour, especially if you were one of the oiks!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.