• Peter Sotheran
    Ever since the bells were installed, our tenor (6-3-21 in B-flat) has boomed out rather stridently over the sound of the other bells. Taylors made adjustments initially and even provided an alternative clapper but still it booms out - I have just been listening to the start of a peal attempt and it definitely spoils the end result.
    The clapper is a round steel bar with a wrought iron ball & flight welded on - probably from the days when wrought iron was in short supply. Would a wooden clapper be likely to improve the sound? Presumably it was a lower mass and would not strike the bell as hard as an all-metal clapper. Any thoughts anyone?
  • John de Overa
    From what I've seen something that is sometimes done is to re-profile the clapper, which means reducing the diameter of the shaft on a lathe. But from the description of yours, it sounds like that may not be an option, as it's been welded. I think you probably need to take professional advice.
  • John Harrison
    by 'booming out' do you mean that. it is too loud, in which case a lighter clapper might help, regardless of material.
    If it's not too loud but qualitatively different then maybe it is a quality of the bell rather than the clapper, especially since you say it has always been like it.
    Either way, it would seem sensible to seek professional advice.
  • Roger Booth
    I have known towers where one bell swings into the louvres on one side of the tower and it shouts out above the others on that side, when you listen in sight of that side of the tower at ground level. Also, other towers where there is a badly fitting trap door or clock weight shaft adjacent one bell, which results in that bell shouting out above the others when listened to in the ringing room. Rather than a clapper problem, could it be one of these?
  • Peter Sotheran
    Yes, that's a fair point Roger; there is another tower nearby where the quality of the sound varies considerably depending on which side of the tower you stand.

Internally, the sound in the ringing chamber is quite acceptable but outside, particularly on the south side - where the tenor is located - the 'mix' of the sound is dominated by the tenor.

I might try getting a local engineer to reduce the weight of the alternate clapper that we still have tucked away somewhere. I'm a bit wary of trimming too much off in case it weakens the shank of the clapper.
  • Jim Startin
    Might this reduce the tenor's volume in the ringing room too much, if it is currently acceptable? From what you say it might be better to look more at the sound path from the tenor to outside the tower. Board up one louvre for example. Where are the louvres relative to the bells?
  • Peter Sotheran
    The louvers are already boarded up. Each vertical 'slot' in the wall has 4 panels each abour 1m sq x 75mm thick and filled with rockwool. The lowest section of each column of panels is hinged to open and is usually left open. (I was going to insert a photo but can't find how to do it!)

If we can reduce the strident note of the tenor when heard outside, we can, if necessary, also adjust the internal acoustic layer between the bell and the ringers to compensate.
    Attachment
    Shutters 1 copy (42K)
  • John de Overa
    where are the bells in relation to the opening panels? Our tenor used to "shout" terribly at one stroke, as it struck directly facing a louvre. We have two sets of louvres, both pretty large, so we've completely blocked up the lower ones which are in line with the bells and that's made a huge difference.

Perhaps try closing just the panel that's nearest the tenor to see if that helps and if it does, consider modifying it so the opening section is above the bells if possible?
  • Peter Sotheran
    We've tried various combinations of open and closed shutters over the years. I might repeat the exercise to see if we can effect some improvement.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.