• PeterScott
    ... [KateFlavell's] clear preference for calling the bells UP in changes [because] the bells whose numbers are called are the ones who actually have to either cut in or hold up...
    TrishaShannon Calling Call Changes at Reigate RW p1097/18Nov2022
    ... advanc[ing] the positive arguments for calling DOWN. There is a golden rule whether calling UP or DOWN: all ringers need to know the two bells in front of them. ...
    TrevorThimbleby The golden rule RW p1131/2Dec2022

...who goes on to analyse the ropesight and instructions, from rounds, to effect the transition from 1234... to 1324... and preferring "three to one" (DOWN), which leaves the fourth to follow the bell previously two ahead while "two to three" (UP) requires the third to use the golden rule to know to follow the treble.

It's a familiar discussion, with little hope of agreememt on standardisation.

The issue ought to be how best to achieve a smooth performance with the minimum of words, even when some of the ringers are not consistently picking out their two-ahead bell.

A local conductor would say "two to three, three to one, four to two" which is confusing for everybody: and trying to move the bells again at the next handstoke, maybe "two to four, four to three, five to two", there is hardly a pause in the stream of numbers.

My preference is to use the word to as the instruction to the two named bells to swap places, adding on as information for any ringer who looks uncertain. In the above example, if the third looks to be having a golden-rule-off-day, they can be helped by "two to three, on one".

Leading being so important to the rhythm, I always prefer changing the leading bell with the form "one to two lead".

Of course, Devon and SimonL omit the "to": how many other contributions have we to this standardisation debate ??
  • Jason Carter
    I don't think it makes that much difference. Calling up or down leaves at least one bell not given all the info they need to execute the change. Most towers call up so that is what I do. I try to explain that ringers may hear "follow" rather than "to", and some will call down; and some will, as you mention, just call the numbers affected i.e. "23". I try and explain that, as far as possible, you should understand the full order of the row, those behind you and those in front of you, and obviously the two bells in front of you if nothing else. I would also point out that some towers don't ever go there with call changes and just go straight into plain hunt, so there are some quite decent ringers who would potentially struggle to ring call changes if necessary... Homework is also a great option with this. Writing it out helps to get your head around what is going on :-)
  • Stuart Palin
    When I was learning [decades ago] the local tower norm was to call out all the affected bells (2-3, 3-1, 4-2). Most places hereabouts now simply call a pair with several preferring calling UP, others preferring DOWN (I prefer UP). There is more likelihood on reaching agreement on which end to crack open an egg (or which order bits and bytes should be numbered) than get a "standard" for call changes.

In my book the Golden Rule is consistency in the calls used. Unfortunately (and probably due to a lack of experience or guidance) I have known some callers to be rather haphazard in their calling - a common fault being to change the calling when that would involve calling their own bell to move.

There are of course exceptions to a rule - and I don't mean telling a bell to lead when calling UP (this can be readily determined by the ringer themselves and spotting the approach to the lead is a useful skill to acquire IMO). The exceptions I apply are for those in the earliest stages of learning - trying to convert the theory into practice. Confirming the change that they need to make (in addition to the called change) can help build their confidence in their ropesight whilst maintaining a good standard of ringing. (Another useful exception is at District events when the band is a mixture of UPpers and DOWNers).

At the very start of learning it might be more suitable to discuss the change about to be called with them and what change they need to make as a result, then make the call; but once beyond that the basic skills still need to be honed and I find assisting them with an adjunct to the "formal" call to be helpful.

A tip when visiting a different tower is to listen carefully to the first called change to determine whether local convention is calling UP or DOWN (if you hear a smaller number to larger number the calls are UP; larger number to smaller number and the calls are DOWN).

Another tip (for the more experienced ringer) is that if you are asked to call call-changes for a different band check which style of call they normally use; it can help avoid confusion reigning.
  • Simon Chadwick
    I considered writing a letter about this but decided it could get interminable!

My thought is that calling up allows you to ring only by rythym and place, and moving one place up or down when you are called. Calling down forces you to follow the numbers.
  • Paul Wotton
    Recently when asked to call some call changes for the specific benefit of one learner, as well as calling up, which for reasons rehearsed above I prefer, I also told the learner which place they were in. This seems to aid their striking, as one would expect. I also reinforced that they were still in the same place when I stretched them by swapping the bells immediately below them with out initially telling them which bell they were following. Saying something like "Keep ringing at rounds pace you are still in 4th place.

This emphasises the fact that we are changing the position of bells. From memory one of the ART Stage 2 techniques is to get a band at a practice night to ringing call changes by calling which place bells are to cross. Once again stressing the relationship between knowing what place you are in, listening and striking. All this helps learners understand the change of pace required to ring well, be it method or call changes. It also makes call changes a more valuable stepping stone to method ringing, the theme of subject of a previous forum topic.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.