• Simon Linford
    The Council's Covid guidance team met last night for the first time for quite a long time because we think some updated guidance is needed. This is particularly because of anecdotal evidence that some towers are still more locked down than they might be, either from cautious, vicars, PCCs, tower captains, or other influences. We want to develop some sort of "Resposible ringing over the winter" guidance, given this is a time when we will be ringing with less ventilation because it is cold.

Are there any aspects of ringing with the current Covid levels that need particular clarification?
  • Sue Marsden
    When the guidance was first relaxed, there was a sentence saying that if you were undertaking a physical activity and felt that wearing a mask would make this difficult, this could be claimed as an exemption but I can't find this any more. Is it no longer the case? Several churches I know insist on masks even if it is a peal or quarter peal with no-one else in the church. One has now relaxed this (though we have to put a sign on the door saying it's 'no longer a covid-secure area'. I can understand the need for masks if there is a large group of ringers, and if it's a ground floor ring with members of the congregation present, but if it's just 6 or 8 ringers and there is sufficiant ventilation, I think that the band should be allowed to decide for themselves. And if the church have a policy on wearing masks and someone is unable to ring wearing one, can they claim an excemption?
  • A J Barnfield
    And now Omicron. I assume we have to start thinking again in the light of any risks posed by this new hazard.
  • Simon Linford
    It is going to be published today with not major changes.
    The Church of England has published it's own revised guidance and is not making any particular change because of omicron - not cancellaton of Christmas! No mandating of face coverings etc.
    https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2021-11/COVID%2019%20Guidance%20from%20the%2030th%20November%202021%20v1.pdf
  • A J Barnfield
    Looks like face coverings in places of worship but an exemption for exercise from the 10th?
  • A J Barnfield
    At a quick initial read it looks like the exercise exemption relates to the setting and not the act of exercising.

gyms and exercise facilities (including dance studios)

Have I missed something?
  • Nick Lawrence
    @AJB: The fact that you are calling Omicron a “new hazard” is one of the reasons why ringing will never return to its pre-lockdown popularity.
    It’s no worse than a cold, and no-one has yet died from it.
    Project fear will be the death of ringing, in addition to our way of life.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.