• Simon Linford
    I am writing this in my forthcoming blog and want to kick off the discussion here:

"When I was in the choir at All Saints’ Sedgley I spent many a sermon reading the Ten Commandments that were on the walls either side of the altar. I was pretty sure I’d be OK with most of them, at least those I could understand. It has got me thinking about what the Ten Commandments for a Ringing Master or Tower Captain would be? Maybe not commandments as such – let’s got for pledges. “I will try to “ rather than “thou shalt not.” One for starters came to me on the way home from a recent peal: “There’s no point telling me to try harder when you should know I’m already trying my hardest. I think there just needs to be more empathy in ringing.” Point taken."

So what are recommendations for the top ten pledges or commitments that would be good for ringing masters or tower captains to make?
  • John de Overa
    I think your first one is going to be hard to top to be honest, I don't know of anyone who wants to cock things up.

Some more suggestions:

• I will not shout, it only makes things even worse
    • I will dispense at least as much encouragement and praise as I do criticism
    • I will not look down on those who are less accomplished than I am
  • J Martin Rushton
    (OT) Sedgley! - I used to live just down the hill in Hurst Hill from age 3-8. Dad was the minister at Hurst Hill Methodist. We used to go kite flying from Sedgley Beacon.

A serious suggestion: only ever use bell numbers in giving directions. Being told "you're over my mother" when I was learning a method was no help whatsoever!
  • Andrew G Smith
    Suggest “I will be smiley and welcoming at all times”.. even when uncoordinated Ursula is making a pigs ear of things.
  • John Harrison
    is looking for Ten Commandments a good idea?
    The biblical ten were somewhat legalistic and represented Old Testement thinking. In the New Testement they were famously boiled down to two: Love God and Love your neighbour. In a ringing context we can discount the first (not all ringers believe in one, and those who do don't need ringers to remind them) so we can just interpret the second one in the context of the tower.
    Do we need to list all the ways of 'loving' fellow ringers? The list could be long, people would argue about the details and it would inevitably miss something. So why not just stick with the principle, with the onus on us all to apply it in whatever situation we find ourselves in - to think what the effect of our actions would be and ask whether that's the outcome we intend.
    If in doubt, one can always revert to asking WWJD (for those who remember that expression).
  • Alan C
    Love God and Love your neighbour.John Harrison

I believe the second injunction is 'Love your neighbour as yourself' which is rather more explanatory.
  • John Harrison
    Indeed, but I was trying to strip it down to basics. On reflection I'm not sure that 'as yourself' adds a lot in the context of a tower captain's behaviour. As well as a power difference there will often be a (potentially large) difference of experience and perspective. A lot of the skill of a leader is being able to see things from the other person's point of view and understanding the neds of someone different from him/herself..
  • Alison Hodge
    Do we want something about maintaining a welcoming and safe environment?
  • Simon Meyer
    I will not lose heart when nothing seems to go right on a practice night.
  • Nigel Goodship
    Be kind
    Be patient
    Be encouraging
    Be fair
    Be welcoming
    Be confident
    Be good humoured
    Be flexible
    Be reliable
    Be very grateful if someone else wants to do it instead.
  • Jason Carter
    1. Be welcoming to all ringers regardless of their ability;
    2. Give equal opportunity for band members to develop in their ringing;
    3. Expect band members to take ownership of their own development;
    4. Create a safe environment for asking questions;
    5. If the first explanation doesn't work, try a different one;
    6. Strive for the best striking that the band is capable of;
    7. Push the band out of their comfort zone sometimes, but not all the time;
    8. Share the teaching and calling opportunities with as many band members as possible;
    9. Take all ringing sessions seriously, but have some fun too;
    10. Never give up on anyone, but be honest and realistic with them as well.
  • PeterScott
    ..one can always revert to asking WWJD...John Harrison

What Would John Do ?? :-)
  • John Harrison
    What Would John Do ??PeterScott
    No, the other rather more famous 'J'.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.